This sophisticated line of PV charge controllers incorporates constant voltage PWM to make maximum use of valuable PV power. They have automatic equalization, temperature compensation and very high efficiency. They can be used on 12-, 24- and 48-volt systems with sealed, gel and wet-cell lead-acid batteries. Front panel LEDs indicate when the batteries are being charged and relative battery state of charge. Reverse polarity protection on input and output. In the event of a load short circuit, the load is automatically disconnected. M models include LCD meter of battery voltage, PV charging current, and load current. Low voltage LVD is current-compensated to prevent false disconnect when the battery is heavily loaded. Units are conformal coated to guard against corrosion. Dimensions: 6.01" x 4.14" x 2.2". 5-year warranty.
Morningstar ProStar PS-30M, PWM Charge Controller
Includes Meter Display
Rated Solar Current: 30 Amps
Rated Load Current: 30 Amps
System Voltage: 12/24 Volt
Warranty: Five years
Morningstar PS-30M Reliability:
Expected failure rate will be less than 1 per 1,000 units over 5 years.
- mproved protections and added many new protections (see list below)
- Power MOSFET voltage rating increased 25%
- Eliminated all trim-pots and other troublesome parts
- Reduced the digital meter components from 75 to 16
- Increased the current-carrying copper traces by 75%
- Increased temperature rating of many parts
- Made conformal coating protection standard
Morningstar PS-30M Battery Charging
Expanded the battery charging options and capabilities.
- Added a third battery type selection (gel, sealed, flooded)
- Added a "float" stage to the battery charging algorithm
- Expanded the to account for depth of discharge history
- Added a remote temperature probe option
- Improved the accuracy of all charging parameters
- Moved the built-in temperature sensor to read ambient conditions more accurately
Morningstar PS-30M Installation & Operation
The new ProStar is easier and safer to install and use, with more operating information provided to the user.
- Self-diagnostic test provides assurance the controller is working correctly, or indicates a fault that is present
- Rotary switch provides simple and positive selection of battery type (and LED's confirm the selection)
- Terminals are longer with more screw threads, screwdriver holes in the case are larger, and plastic tabs isolate the terminals
- The pushbutton disconnects the load first (for weekend cabins, boats, etc.), then disconnects the solar if held down for 2 seconds (indicated in the meter)
- Five protection functions are displayed in the digital meter
- Meter indicates "OFF" if solar or load is disconnected
- PWM is indicated in the green battery status LED (blinking)
- A telecom jumper eliminates PWM noise if present
- Mounting standoffs prevent stress cracks in the case
Protection against abuse and faults is now comprehensive.
- Added solar short circuit and overload protection / auto recovery
- Added load overload protection / auto recovery
- Improved load short circuit protection / auto recovery
- Improved protection of the load from voltage spikes
- Improved low battery voltage and brownout protection / auto recovery
- Other existing protections have been improved
Precision design for improved performance and accurate meter display.
- Added 0.1% resistors and other precision components
- Upgraded to a more powerful, faster microcontroller with better resolution
- Extensive digital filtering for improved accuracy
- Added 2 precision shunts for very accurate current measurement
- Calibration of the microcontroller during final QA testing in production
Digital Meter Display
Completely redesigned, improved and expanded the digital meter.
- Meter reads values directly from the microcontroller
- Very accurate voltage and current values measured and displayed
- Added self-test with specific faults and conditions displayed
- More status and protection conditions are displayed
- Reduced self-consumption to 1 mA
- Current is now measured in the ungrounded leg only
- Meter connector is more robust and easier to attach
- Any meter can now be mounted to any ProStar with no calibration requir